Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Shhwoosh goes the tire

Well, I'm never not carrying a spare tire again when I travel. I finally killed one of my tires for good, and I'm lucky that I was at least able to obtain a replacement by walking a couple of miles to the local Wal-Mart Supercenter to obtain a short-term replacement. I'm currently in Mexia, a town of some 7000-odd people in the midst of ranch country. Its only about 40 miles from Waco, so I'll be riding there in the morning in search of a bike shop where I can obtain a suitable replacement.

Today I traveled 52 miles, and I was on track for a 70+ mile day before I decided to push my bike through the grass behind the chinese place where I had a late lunch. "Don't go in the long grass" would have been good advice in this case, as I hit something which sliced right through my tire carcass, flatting the tire with the sickening "shhwoosh" that meant this was no ordinary puncture. At least this forced stop means I get to dry my damp gear in the AC of a cheap motel room.

Farewell Gatorskin- you were too tender for this world of roadside glass and retreads
So that's that. I'm never touring on Gatorskins again, (too susceptible to road trash and the sidewalls are waaaay too vulnerable) and I'm never not packing a spare tire.

As far as the last few days go: I'd like to do a write up on them, and I will soon, but I'm tired right now so I'll leave these three images as a summation of the days since Houston:





Yeop, that's about it for now.

1 comment:

  1. Pokemon like to hide in the tall grass!
    You should have known better, glad you were able to get it all fixed up tho.
    <3 Angela

    ReplyDelete